The problems with search engines and SME’s
One of most common questions small business owners have when it comes to online marketing is ‘how can I get on the 1st page of Google’.
It’s a simple question, with a complicated answer.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), is often viewed as something of dark-art. And, it’s true it. It has its own lingo and what it takes to rank on the first page of Google is an ever-moving target.
This makes SEO a challenging proposition for many SME’s.
Plus, if you do decide to pay Google to get an advert on the 1st page it can be expensive and regularly costs several pounds to send you just one visitor (NOT a buyer, a visitor). And, this can really eat into your profit margins.
How our search engine is different
So, when we made our search engine we wanted to make it easier for small businesses to find each other. With this in mind, we wanted to tackle 3 things:
- To make search local: You can ringfence your search to only show businesses that are within a specified distance from your office. This reduces the amount of competition because you’re no longer required to fend off national or worldwide businesses, blogs and directories to get seen. Businesses get to see the companies they can actually use; the local ones.
- To make search fair: There are no paid placements so no huge advertising budgets are required to get seen. You don’t need to worry about SEO or PPC adverts, everyone has a fair shot to get seen from the new startups to established businesses.
- To allow small businesses to promote their products and services: Integrated within the search engine is a business marketplace allowing all of our members to promote not just their businesses but also what their businesses offer. You can use it find and source the services of local suppliers.
To to use ehuhb to find local suppliers
Beginning a search using ehuhb starts much the same as any other search engine. Enter your query in the search box and press enter.
By default, the initial search will always search the company directory but if any matches are shown in the marketplace too these are shown above the company results.
If you’d like to just view marketplace results click the market place tab
To bring back as many results as possible your first search on ehuhb will search the entire database. But, we mentioned above that you can make search more local. All you need to do is click the distance drop down menu and select the distance from your office that you’d like to search within.
To the right of the distance filter is another drop down menu that reads From: my office. Selecting the current location option allows ehuhb to find businesses around where you are right now.
But what if you’re not getting as many results as you’d hoped? We know we’re new so it means we might not always bring back the results you’re looking for. This is a problem that will remedy itself as we continue to grow, but for now we recommend:
- Trying shorter searches. For example: Instead of typing ‘double sided business card printer’ try ‘business cards’ or ‘printer’.
- If you know the company name you can search for that directly instead of typing words related to the business.
- Try increasing the distance ehuhb searches within.
Thats really all there is using ehuhb’s search engine.
The next time you’re looking for the services of another company try a quick search on ehuhb first before using another search engine. An ehuhb search is a direct way to find local businesses and the more companies that search for each other the more opportunities it will create for other companies, and yours.